Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sick, Insured, No Medical Care - Why Would a Duke Cardiologist Sabotage a Patient's Care?

Today was tough day. I am my own medical advocate. I am not doing a very good job.


For reasons known only to them and their conscience, very talented and experienced orthopedic surgeons have refused to treat me. The latest is a phenomenal orthopedic surgeon from Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.


I really cannot blame the Cleveland Clinic orthopedic surgeon.  A Duke cardiologist Dr. Michael Blazing (who knew me only from a few encounters) wrote a terrible letter to the Cleveland Clinic orthopedic surgeon.  The letter insulted me and mocked my grieving my dad.  Dr. Blazing informed Cleveland Clinic that I had mental problems that prevented my getting well.  (the letter will post later)  


Based on Dr. Blazing's ridiculous letter, no wonder the Cleveland Clinic orthopedic surgeon did not want to treat me.  


But, in fact, Dr. Michael Blazing's letter was defamatory and wrong.  Dr. Blazing's letter was factually wrong.  Moreover, does not know me.  The first contact I ever had with the man was during a preoperative screening in July 2010 and the last contact was when he dropped by my hospital room in early September 2010.


Dr. Michael Blazing (Duke University cardiologist) does not have the empirical knowledge necessary to formulate a rational judgment about my character as a medical patient.  


The fact that Dr. Blazing believes he is in a position to render an opinion (about my character or my willingness/ability to be a compliant patient) is a reflection of his poor clinical judgment


Wait a minute.  I am the patient, right?  I am the sick one, right?  If the medical community were treating my dad (or anyone else) like this would I permit it? Nope.  


Alas, as the patient, we do not have the same strength.  Lucky for the physicians.  Not so lucky for the patients.


Actually, I am so disappointed in the medical professional. Why is it that my osteomyelitis and dead tibia is unworthy of medical care? Why am I unworthy of medical care?


Is this rationing of care? Is this how surgeons decide who will die?


But as I cared for dad and as caregivers care for their loved ones, they must find ways to care despite the physicians.  


My plan?  Details to come.  


Of course, thank God, I always have angels in the medical community that remain steadfast to help me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment