Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Request for Accountability to Duke Orthopedics

For months, I asked Duke Hospital for a copy of the report that Duke Orthopedics sent to UNC and Cleveland Clinic.  UNC Orthopedics flatly refused to treat me because of the report.  It just did not make sense.  


Why would Duke Medical want to interfere with me obtaining medical care?  My dad just died in January 2010.  I was always a compliant patient.  I was not a difficult patient.  Why was Duke treating me like this?


And so I sent an e-mail to Duke Medical on Wednesday December 29, 2010, and  asked:
I finally received the "elopement report" that Duke sent to UNC and Cleveland Clinic without my authorization.  It is frankly shocking to me to read such "misstatements."  My only concern was the open wound at discharge.  
My metal from the high tibial osteotomy was placed by Dr. Easley in December 2004.  It always hurt. I was never able to rehab the leg.  I lost a job in Chicago because I was in such pain. 
I had to go to a Chicago orthopedic surgeon because no one at Duke would remove the metal.  I have seen the x-rays.  The infection and dead tibia in my leg run the track lines of the screws placed by Dr. Easley.  As soon as the painful metal was removed, the bone infection was doomed to manifest itself. However, I would be doomed to a life of pain so long as Duke continued to ignore my complaints of pain just to avoid the inevitable osteomyelitis.
I know there was an issue of elevator oil accidentally cleaning surgical supplies.  I know the osteotomy packs were among the items contaminated.  How can Duke be certain that no contaminated instruments were used at Duke University Hospital (DUH)?   Or, perhaps, instruments were taken from the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) to DUH.  I cannot imagine how else the screws could have infected my bone.
My dad was a research medicinal scientist for over 40 years at RTI International.  Of course, he had many friends at RTI (chemistry and analytics) and throughout the scientific community at other labs.  The Chicago orthopedic surgeon gave me the metal he removed. Maybe my having the metal tested would be useful and then I could alert people who had surgery at DUH to get checked.
Cheryl Handy
No response yet.  I will keep all updated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment