Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is there a billing code for physician threatening patient?

After having processed the verbal assault from Duke Medical's Dr. Raymond Wase, the question comes to my mind: What precisely constitutes an "office visit" with a physician?

I first met Dr Raymond Wase on Saturday November 6, 2010, because the pain and wound were becoming unmanageable.  I was still waiting for the pre-op appointments to be scheduled by my Duke Medical primary care physician.

Dr Wase wanted me to go the Duke University Hospital Emergency Department and be admitted to the hospital.  That seemed a bit drastic since I was in the "pre-op" phase, did not have a fever or any other evidence of acute systemic infection.  He did not provide any pain or wound care at the 11-6-2010 appointment.

I did agree to speak with Duke Medical Infectious Disease on Tuesday November 9, 2010.  It was at that visit that I was firm in my resolution that Duke Orthopedics was not equipped to deal with my infection.  I continued with the pre-op for the surgery to be performed at Cleveland Clinic.

Duke Medical has plenty of patients.  Why on Earth were Duke physicians so insistent on my having the second osteomyelitis surgery at Duke University Hospital?

Fast forward to Wednesday November 24, 2010.  
  • I was unable to complete the pre-op bone scan because of debilitating pain associated with the bone infection.  
  • Thanksgiving is just my mom and myself.  
  • Dad died 1/15/2010 while being treated by Duke Medical (Orthopedics and Infectious Disease) for bone infection.
  • I thought that my (newly widowed) mom deserved for me to not be bed-riddened on Thanksgiving.  Mom deserved to have her family not be suffering at this first holiday season without her husband of over 55 years.
I sat in the room waiting on Wednesday November 24, 2010, for Dr Raymond Wase for about 15 minutes.  The door hardly shut behind Dr Wase before he said "you again" and asked me "what is going on"?  Before Wase could allow me to answer, he proclaimed that I could not expect to come into "his clinic" and get pain medication.

I tried to explain that I was in the process of having pre-op procedures so that I could have surgery.  He asked me for the date of the surgery. I said it was not yet scheduled.  

Before I could explain that Duke Medical primary care physician was not cooperative in scheduling the pre-op, Dr Wase just shook his head and smirked. He looked at me as though I was lying about having a surgeon at Cleveland Clinic and lying about going to Cleveland Clinic for the bone scan next week.

Dr Wase never looked at my wound.  In fact, Dr Wase made a concerted effort to not look at my wound or examine me in anyway.  

Dr Wase never moved from the area of the exam room door.  When I tried leave with my walker, Dr Wase moved his body to block my exit.  Dr Wase wanted me to go to the Duke University Hospital ED "so that we can determine the cause of the pain."   

When I insisted to Dr Wase that I just wanted to go home since no one would help me with the pain, Dr Wase actually threatened me.  Dr Wase stuck out his chest and ego and stated "if you leave now then I will chart that you were here to get narcotics and everyone will know you were drug seeking."  

I'm sorry, doc.  I didn't catch that.  You are going to chart what exactly?  Will that affect me getting into the college of my choice.  And, Dr Wase who exactly is "everyone"?

I have an idea, doc.  Why don't you chart how you had no intention of ever examining me, treating me, communicating with me or in any other conceivable way using any skill beyond that of a street thug or fifth grade school bully?  Then give me back the $20 copay you took under false pretenses at the front desk.

2 comments:

  1. I suggest that you write a letter to the doctor describing in detail your terrible experience with him, and send a "cc" to the office manager and billing manager. This will embarrass him. And, in the letter, ask for your $20 to be returned. You should not feel intimidated or powerless, because you aren't. Unfortunately there are doctors who feel they are "holier than thou," and perhaps this is one. They need to be stopped in their tracks. It is highly likely that this doctor's treatment of you occurs with many of his patients. Speak up! If you do not get your money back, perhaps you have an attorney friend who will write a letter on your behalf.
    Sheryl Kurland
    Orlando Patient Advocates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Great idea.

    Cheryl Handy

    ReplyDelete