Friday, March 13, 2009

My role on the team is the care-giver

It is very late at night. I am exhausted. I have worked with dad all day. Getting him in and out of the car is tough when it is raining and cold.

Then I dealt with Duke Clinic support staff telling me b.s. like "well, you may not want to hear this . . ." (for normal human beings, being a sentence with those words should prompt the thinking person to stop talking) " . . . but even if [the Duke Infectious Disease Clinic] did not treat your father for the last two months, any infection he has is what it is."

"the infection is what it is." That's sweet. Kudos Duke Infectious Disease Clinic.

But I remain strong and committed to my role in this team effort of getting dad back to a healthy condition.

My role is not to coordinate care with the infectious disease clinic and the orthopedic clinic at Duke Medical.

As I said, it is late at night. My dad is having a bit of a problem ambulating to a bed-side commode while he is in such pain (with no pain medications). My dad needed me late tonight despite the fact that I was sound asleep.

I move quick and get dad's clothing and bedding cleaned. I tell him this is no big deal and that someday life won't be like this. Dad nods and thanks me.

As I leave dad in a warm and dry bed, I ask dad "who is my hero"? Dad proudly says "I am." And tonight dad added "and you are my hero. I love you." I love you too dad.

This is my job. I keep dad same and motivated to get healthy. That is my job.

Duke Medical's job is to coordinate dad's care and make sure that the "team" of physicians and surgeons are all on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment