Friday, December 26, 2008

Watch your hospital bill

I have noticed a couple of strange items in my father's Duke University Hospital bill and insurance bills.

1. There were "consultations" from physicians at "Person County Memorial Hospital" - not Duke University Hospital!

Duke University Hospital submitted claims to dad's private insurance and Medicare with "Person County Memorial Hospital." However, the actual DUH bill stated that all consults were DUH physicians. What's up with that?

2. DUH arranged for my father to leave the hospital with equipment that he physically could not use - a plain walker when my dad is totally non-weight bearing status.

More frustrating, DUH arranged the durable medical equipment with a provider that is "out of network" for my dad's insurance.

One of the purported benefits of the hospitalist program model is that the "resource manager" is supposed to coordinate insurance and care.

No comments:

Post a Comment