Monday, August 25, 2008

Writing a book about need to discipline doctors

My experiences with Chris Dangles, M.D. has changed the course of my professional life. Dr. Dangles practices medicine in Illinois and evidently understands and in fact has demonstrated that *politics* makes the medical world go around.

When I started practicing law in Champaign, Illinois (the home of Dr. Dangles' employer, Carle Clinic Association), my intent was to protect physicians and represent the professionals as a defense attorney against medical malpractice claims. It was my experience that recurrent, prevalent themes permeated each medical malpractice allegation:

1. physicians chart in the medical records very poorly (errors, ambiguity and incompleteness);

2. the ineffective physician charting had a detrimental, trickle down effect on nurses and paraprofessionals expected to care for the patient because the charting is, in effect, the physician's communication and direction to the hospital or clinic staff;

3. physicians are slow to acknowledge or accept responsibility when there has been an adverse outcome or event;

4. physicians and other medical care professionals are reluctant (if not unwilling) to report and disclose errors;

5. risk management offices are prone to hunker down with a palpable attitude of pre-emptive strike against the aggrieved patient. This "us" versus "them" mentality routinely and stubbornly denies physician error and ignores the proven fact that "sorry works."

I am in the process of writing a book on the topic. And my efforts have been blessed . . . I am firming up my book deal to publish my manuscript regarding disciplining "bad doctors" focusing on

(1) the tribulations with the "bad doctor" Chris J. Dangles, M.D., whose political efforts and influences helped him avoid any consequence of his poor clinical judgment and permanent damage to me, his patient;

(2) a detailed survey of all U.S. state medical boards positions and efforts to protect patients by disciplining "bad doctors", and

(3) the options that injured patients have to be compensated for injuries proximately caused by medical negligence

Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment